EXP 2: THE BRIDGE - DEVELOPING MY THEORY



As my source of inspiration I chose the article cited below, tributing the life of the expressive architect that was Michael Sorkin.





Picture from the article: Michael Sorkins design for a bridge in Shenzhen China.


Key words that stood out to me about his architectural visions were:


- choreography 

- vehicle
- organic
- community
- inspired 

I then used played with these words to develop a theory for my bridge.


Theory:



A vehicle for the choreography of the urban and organic community that inspires students and spectators alike.


My theory suggests a dynamic engagement between the built fabric of the bridge (UNSW lower campus and NIDA buildings) and the introduction of natural elements that mimic those in its near surrounds (trees, parks, fields). Enveloped by the more rigid, industrial styles of concrete and brick campus buildings, I aim to create a lighter and more open approach to learning that sees the boundaries between inside spaces and outdoor spaces being blurred. This will inspire those students using the space, as well as the passerby who engages with it in a more passive way.



Article:

Giovannini, Joseph. "Michael Sorkin, 71, Dies; Saw Architecture as a Vehicle for Change." New York Times, March 29, 2020.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/arts/michael-sorkin-dead.html

Comments

Popular Posts