EXP 2: THE BRIDGE - PRECEDENT PLAN


After reviewing the plans of various architects' famous buildings, I chose the 
Herzog and de Meuron - 'house for a new media collector'.



I really liked the curvature of this plan because it echoed the organic motif of my design theory. The fluid lines reminded me of waves and reinforced the theme of nature within my architecture school.

I took this plan and incorporated the space requirements of my school (according to the below document), allowing for studios, computer laps, galleries and other spaces crucial to a university design building.



I then re-imagined this plan as a section, rotating through 90 degrees. I had to re-work my facility allocations and adapt some areas to this new section. I wanted the curvature to stand out so I left the 'waves' exposed to form the bottom of the bridge. This structure (the bridge) will form the bulk of my school with other components on either end, synthesising its cohesion with the existing buildings.



I then found a section of the same house by Herzog and De Meouron, that challenged the fluid motion and organic lines that I had worked with above. 



This section was sharp and angular, and utilised the geometry of triangles to create a stark statement. I decided to incorporate this into the Squarehouse side of my design, whilst harnessing the fluid curves for the part of the Bridge that would sit atop NIDA.

 Adhering to the saying "form mirrors purpose", I deliberately chose the harsh geometric building to extrapolate from the existing square house that contains the more 'industrial' workshop space, whilst the fluidly shaped bridge would connect and extend atop the drama theatre - a more lyrical form of expression.

The contents of these contrasting styles of building would also project their form. I placed all staff facilities and spaces in the more structured triangular building on the existing urban environment of the lower campus, whilst creating the student spaces within the organic and animated style of the new curved bridge. Their choreography at the meeting point captures and contrasts the rigidity and refinement of seasoned professionals against the naivety and elasticity of the amateur mind, encouraging experimentation and innovation.







Comments

Popular Posts